Board of Trustees
What do trustees do?
Trustees help decide on our strategy and monitor our performance. They also:
- agree the business plan and performance targets on an annual basis
- approve each year’s budget
- monitor compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements
- oversee a framework of delegation and systems controls.
Trustees are recruited for their skills or experience, to help us run effectively. We're a multi-million pound not-for-profit organisation, so we need people with a wide range of skills and experience of business, MS, and other areas to succeed.
Trustees are expected to share our mission and values and agree to commit time and energy to the work of the Board.
The Board meets four times a year. There are also meetings of expert committees (Audit, Risk and Finance, Governance, and People), on which some Board members sit.
Any of our members can attend the non-confidential parts of a board meeting by booking in advance - contact us at email@example.com for details.
Our members elect Trustees at our Annual General Meeting (AGM). They are appointed for a term of three years and generally cannot serve for more than two consecutive terms. Trustees elect a Chair for a five-year term of office.
Candidates for election as Trustees will be proposed at this year's AGM on Saturday 5 December.
Board meeting papers
- June 2019
- Board paper March 2019 - Agenda
- Board paper March 2019 - Board minutes December 2018
- Board paper March 2019 - Chair's update
- Board paper March 2019 - Chief Executive's update
- Board paper March 2019 - Governance Committee Update
- Board paper March 2019 - EDI Annual Report
- Board paper March 2019 - Supporter Promise
- Board Paper December 2018 - Acting Chief Executive's Update
- Board Paper December 2018 - Additional Governance Committee Update
- Board Paper December 2018 - Agenda 06.12.2018
- Board Paper December 2018 - Board minutes 21.09.2018
- Board Paper December 2018 - Chair's Update
- Board Paper December 2018 - Co-production
- Board Paper December 2018 - Data protection policy
- Board Paper December 2018 - Governance Committee update
- Board Paper December 2018 - National Councils (Full)
- Board Paper December 2018 - Supporter Promise
- September 2018
We’re the MS Society – a community of people living with MS, scientists, campaigners, volunteers and fundraisers.
We understand what life’s like with MS, and we support each other through the highs, lows and everything in between.
And we’re driving research into more – and better – treatments. For everyone.
Together, we are strong enough to stop MS.