A doctor in consultation with a patient

Talking to health professionals about cannabis

Cannabis-based products can be prescribed by your neurologist or a specialist in pain, rehabilitation or spasticity.

You can also speak to your MS nurse or GP about cannabis, but they can’t actually prescribe cannabis products.

Can I get cannabis for my MS?

In November 2018 the law changed in the UK on using cannabis as a medicine. A small number of people can now get a prescription for cannabis-based products. When these become available, they’re most likely to be oils and capsules. Cannabis products won’t change your MS in the long run. But they could ease the common symptoms of muscle stiffness and spasms (spasticity) and pain.

Despite the law changing, right now cannabis as a medicine is no easier to get than it was before. Your chances of getting a prescription are unfortunately very slim. The change in the law doesn’t give you an automatic right to a prescription for cannabis-based products. But you do have a right to talk about this with your health professionals.

Read more about cannabis and the law

How can I get cannabis for my MS?

You may have a chance of getting a prescription for a cannabis product if your MS causes muscle stiffness and spasms (spasticity), and you and your health care professional believe all other treatment options aren’t suitable for you.

There are no legal restrictions to getting medicinal cannabis if you experience pain. But the  temporary guidance for specialist doctors recommends against prescribing cannabis for this symptom. So it’s very unlikely you’d be prescribed medicinal cannabis for pain.

Some people with MS say cannabis helps with symptoms like sleep problems, anxiety, depression, fatigue, walking, balance, tremor, bladder or bowel problems, memory and thinking, or swallowing and speech difficulties. There’s no hard evidence to support this, so it’s very unlikely cannabis products will be prescribed for any of these symptoms.

Tips on discussing cannabis with your health professionals

If you suffer from spasticity or pain, and have explored all your other treatment options, it might be worth bringing up cannabis with your health professionals.

Here are some things we suggest you do and don’t do:

  • Try to avoid using words like ‘smoking weed’ or ‘having a spliff’ or ‘joint’. Instead, talk about ‘medicating yourself with’ (or ‘using’) ‘cannabis-based products’, ’medicinal cannabis’ or ‘cannabinoids’
  • If you're thinking of taking a product like CBD oil, bring it with you to the appointment
  • Bring something to write with if you'd like to take notes
  • Don't worry if your health professional says something you don't understand, just ask them to explain
  • Take a friend, partner or relative with you to the appointment for extra support
  • Let your health professional know if you’ve had things like anxiety, depression or other mental health issues, or if members of your family have. That's because cannabis can trigger some mental health problems or make them worse
  • If you're not satisfied after your chat, try talking to another member of your health care team.

The facts about prescribing cannabis

It's useful to know the facts about cannabis so you can be prepared in your appointment.

To help you, here are some of the things people have told us health professionals say when they ask about cannabis. But are these true?

True or false

I want a second opinion

Have you spoken to someone about getting medicinal cannabis but still aren’t happy? Then you have a right to a second opinion or to complain.

When it comes to cannabis-based products, a new way of getting a second opinion is being worked on. Until this is ready, follow the standard way of getting a second opinion from the NHS. You can find out how to do this on the NHS website.

If you’re turned down for a prescription, or you’re unhappy with what happens as a result of talking to your health professional, you can also raise this with:

You can also bring this up with your MP, AM or MSP. Find out who yours is at writetothem.com.

Or if you live in England, take it to your local Healthwatch.